Total Pageviews

Monday, April 1, 2013

The Miracle of Change

Listening to what we don't want to hear is hard.   Our defenses are high and if we do listen, it's going to take more than a minute for what is being said to  sink in. That doesn't mean we are going to do anything about it.   This is one of the reasons that so many relationships go under board. Those defenses that I talked about a minute ago are going to grow rapidly as we listen to what is being said, specially if we don't like it.  A couple of years ago I held a strong grudge against an old friend and would not let it go.  My oldest son gave me a reality check on how things had gone and why he thought that we both acted against our friendship.  He also told me to let it go because I wasn't going to gain anything good out of all those negative feelings I was holding inside.  The only person I was damaging was myself.  That day I received the first smack in the face of my life, it didn't feel good, but I was able to snap out of that horrible grudge.

Over the years many of us get stuck in our own ways.  I would love to emphasize the word "stuck" because it means there is no way we're moving.  We are up to our knees in cement, meaning that change is not an option.  We just stand where ever we are and not move!  No kidding so many of us have a mid life crisis.  Sometimes we fill our thoughts with the famous what ifs...., what if God can do this or that.  This or that can have a very broad range,  those what ifs can go from saving the life of a terminal cancer patient up to finding a job.  We're so caught up handing all our problems to God that we overlook the miracle of change itself.   God has given us the capacity of changing our views and ways to set a new path for ourselves and others as well. I've learned to listen to my daughter over the years,  even though sometimes it's gone wrong and we've end up bickering and mad at each other.  Yet we overcome our anger and begin our conversations all over again.  It doesn't matter if we do fight sometimes over things we don't agree, but we keep on working on it.  The important part is that we listen and try to understand each other.

I consider change to be a miracle because of its  cause and effect relationship.  Let us say for example if we change our perspectives on things like: homosexuality, we become more tolerant with those that surround us; the homeless, we become proactive in helping them overcome this way of life; and on drug addiction, we may find ways of helping them overcome their addiction.  In all these possible changes we are getting involved and that's precisely what God want us to be. On the other hand, if we stay as we are, looking from afar, how can we make that miracle happen?   The other day I read an interesting post on Facebook, it was a thank you prayer.  It got me thinking about my own thank you prayers, how many times have I thanked God for his blessings, but done nothing for others.  I felt like a phony!!!  We need to overcome our ways and move on to a change not only in our spirit, but also in our day to day actions.   

God has created our world and He didn't make it still, but dynamic.  This amazing World we live on is always moving, changing, in constant evolution, and I ask myself, why can't we be the same?   I know for a fact that it can be hard because I myself am as stubborn as a donkey.  Nevertheless, I'm sure that after we take time to listen to the many voices that surround our lives we will be heading towards the right direction, the direction that God has set for us.  The direction that will bring small miracles in our journey through life, that same direction will substitute the what ifs and make them only hows.  Instead of saying what if God did this or that, we will begin saying how can I make that happen not only for me, but also for others. So let us all embrace change as part of God's plan for us, because when everything has been said and done, we'll finally understand  that's what living is all about!

(Image credit: http://www.amreshkumar.com/2011/01/14/hoping-for-a-miracle/)

No comments:

Post a Comment